My Relationship With Animation

Personally, have no relationship with anime. Okay that statement is true and not true at the same time. I had never watched any sort of anime before the start of this semester, and honestly didn’t really know what it was when I signed up for the course, but I have friends at home who do watch it and talked about it with me. When I told them I was taking this class they were very excited to me and wanted to see the syllabus to look at the shows we were watching to know if they had seen any. The conversations they have about anime that never really interested me because I didn’t understand what they were talking about and couldn’t actually talk about it. Kinda random but its my other connection to anime, I own an anime sweatshirt, I think I got it when I was goodwill one time, but im not sure. I didn’t even know it was anime, I just thought it looked cool. Even though I’ve been around people who watch it, I’ve never had the interest to watch it.  And I’m not entirely sure why, but my best guess is that its because growing up I wasn’t really allowed to watch TV or use technology.  Yeah, my parents where the kind of people to tell me to read a book or go play outside, and when I did the the opportunity to watch it was limited, and as a result I don’t really watch shows and movies that often now. So my perspective on animation is limited, but I’m going to try and talk about it because growing up in the age of technology there are definitely moments that define how I view animation.  

As I’ve already said, my parents weren’t huge into letting us have screen time, but when we did, it was always a family activity.  We would watch movies or cartoons in the family room all together with my dogs, and for some reason when I think back on these memories its always winter, and during the movie my Dad has to go outside to get more wood for our wood stove. Him opening the door and letting the cold air to blow in causes me and my brothers to yell about it as he pull the blank were under over our head. As we got older, these occurrences of watching movies with the family lessened due to school, sports, friends, all aspects of life and growing up, and I think that’s why it feels more special when it occasionally happens now.  When I go home on break it might happen once the entire time I’m home, but it reminds me of happy times so it feels good.  So even thought I don’t have a personal relationship with animation, like having a favorite show, the relationship I have formed with animation steams from the moments of pure happiness with my family.  

One of the best memories I have is with my The Smurfs, my family loved watching the original smurf cartoons. We would always be allowed to watch it on Sundays after church if we behaved, and my dad said recently he would make us watch them because it was his favorite cartoon as a child, and seeing us watch it and laugh when Garamel would eventually mess up and smurfs would be free would make him happy. Plus my dad is still a kid a heart, or maybe still a kid because my moms eyes she has 5 children, me, my three brothers plus my dad. It makes everything come full circle, my Dad would watch it as a kid and we did too, just makes laughing at a cartoon on Sunday after church more special.  Even the other day my parents sent me a care package with some snacks, coffee and a papa smurf action figure. Just shows how much one cartoon has brought my family together, oh and he is currently sitting on my desk.


Another animation that was prevalent in my years as a child was Peep in the Big Wide World, this was a show about Peep, who is a chick, and his two friends Quack, who is a duck, and Chirp, who is a robin, and they explore everyday life.  I did have to do some googling for this one because I haven’t seen this show since I was maybe six years old.  So very long ago. But this show was my favorite as a child, I’m not sure why, I just really liked it.  I even called my Mom about this assignment, and she said they I would always ask to watch Peep.  The episodes were only 10 minuets long and always ended in some sort of life lesson, probably why it was on the list of acceptable shows for me to watch. I actually watched one before writing this, just to remember it, and its your typical children’s show, but I guess it had a big impact on me as a youngling. 


When I started this assignment, I thought it was going to be hard because I didn’t watch a lot of animation growing up, or now, so I believed that animation didn’t have a part of my life, but when I stated to think about it, I realized it had a lot more of an impact on me than I thought.  Being a happy memory with my family, or teaching me life lessons about perspective, it changed my view on animation. 

Links to photos: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peep_and_the_Big_Wide_World

https://www.wired.com/2011/04/psychology-of-cartoons-part-2-sociology-of-the-smurfs/

Comments

  1. I can relate a lot to the lack of unfamiliarity with anime and not realizing the impact of animated shows as a whole. I wasn't allowed to watch some cartoons such as adventure time and screen time was somewhat limited, but some of my earliest memories were the family movie night and watching shows such as the smurfs. This assignment was also a bit difficult to me because though I had personal experience with the fan side of anime just simply by attending various conventions and faires, I hadn't really been exposed to many anime shows. The people around me, some who would fall under some of the otaku tropes (though thankfully not the one about a lack of personal hygeine), were excited for me to take this class. This made me more appreciative of not only exposure to various anime types such as mecha and now kiddie anime, but on the social and cultural issues and impacts they create. The blend of movies and shows flow together and are giving me a previously unknown exposure to the world of anime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its nice to see that other people can relate to my childhood experiences with lack of technology, and I definitely agree with the idea of not falling into the sociocultural trap so to speak because as a kid I would have seen it as I am today. Thank you for your comment

      Delete
  2. I really enjoy how you shifted the topic into something that pertained much more to you. I also watched a bunch of Smurfs when I was younger. I see how it was entertaining for you and your family. I also learned a little more about some other shows I have not heard of before like Peep in the Big Wide World. I think you have put a lot of thought into animation. Though you experienced less animation compared to many others you still think deeply about how animation works in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not the only one that hasn't heard of Peep and the big wide world, everytime there are discussions about childhood shows most people haven't heard of it. But thanks for your comment, I was nervous to post because of the lack of anime knowledge, so getting positive feedback is really nice to hear.

      Delete
  3. I honestly enjoyed reading your blossay. Lindsey, you basically shared your experience/non experience with anime, especially when you had your first encounter with anime. Just from getting a sweatshirt that has anime on it and not know what it was, is interesting and cool to hear about. I wasn't really into anime either, but I felt that just from trying this anime course, I believed I could grow to like it. I took also enjoyed the smurfs and understand your limitations on anime as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its nice to see that many other people don't have a ton of experience with anime, it helps me because I thought everyone had a ton of experience, and that writing about non amine would not be taken good, but I was wrong. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete

Post a Comment